When you complete your drug or alcohol program, you’ve taken a major step toward lasting abstinence. At this stage, it’s tempting to think that your work is done. However, in reality, you’ve embarked on a much longer-term sobriety journey. To keep that journey going, you may need to enter an aftercare program. Why? Programs of this type provide multiple benefits for anyone striving to remain substance-free over time.
At Memphis Recovery Centers, we do everything we can to help you stay away from drug and alcohol use long-term. That includes providing you with a range of options, including our aftercare program for recovery. Aftercare helps you continue to stay on the right track without drugs or alcohol. To get started on the path to recovery, reach out to an addiction specialist at Memphis Recovery Centers today by calling 866-672-7378 or completing our online contact form.
What Is an Aftercare Program?
You may also see rehab aftercare referred to under another name, continuing care. All programs with these names have the same mission: supporting your ongoing sobriety. There are multiple ways to achieve this mission.
For some people, aftercare for sobriety means continuing in formal substance treatment. However, instead of returning to the same program, you enroll in a less intense option.
Depending on your original program, such options may include:
- A partial hospitalization program (PHP)
- An intensive outpatient program (IOP)
- A standard outpatient program
Your aftercare for sobriety may also include other alternatives. For example, instead of enrolling in another program, you may just check in periodically with program staff. You may also join a mutual self-help group like Alcoholics Anonymous.
Benefits of Rehab Aftercare
A few of the many benefits of rehab aftercare are:
- Staying in touch with addiction specialists – When you join a formal aftercare program, you maintain your access to trained addiction specialists. You can also maintain this access through periodic check-ins with staff at a rehab center. In both cases, this contact serves the same purposes. First, it provides you with ongoing oversight from knowledgeable professionals. In addition, it makes it easy for you to receive any needed treatment.
- Maintaining contact with other program graduates – Rehab aftercare can also provide you with a ready-made group of peers: other people who’ve completed treatment. These peers understand the effort it takes to make that major step. They also understand the effort it takes to remain sober over the months and years ahead. The more time you spend in their company, the easier it may be to stick to your abstinence goals.
- Forming additional support networks – If you join a mutual self-help group, you add another support system for ongoing sobriety. There are some unique advantages to this option, including greater availability of meetings, provision of a sponsor who will help guide your efforts, and more convenient access to help in times of crisis.
- Mutual self-help groups may also provide you with a beneficial form of peer pressure. To honor your commitments, you must report your lapses to other members of the group. Awareness of this fact may strengthen your resolve to avoid taking a drink or using drugs.
Maintain Sobriety with the Aftercare Program at Memphis Recovery Centers
Want to learn more about the benefits of substance treatment aftercare? Contact the addiction specialists at Memphis Recovery Centers. We’ll explain these benefits in detail and show you how they help in your unique situation. In addition, we’ll assist you in determining which options work best for you.
Memphis Recovery Centers are also your trusted source for multiple forms of rehab aftercare. Whether you need a PHP, IOP, or aftercare for sobriety, we have effective options that meet your needs. For more information on these aftercare options, call us today at 866-672-7378, or you can also reach us by filling out our online form.